Sunday, March 23, 2014

How God's murmurs turned into mission

Last summer, I was sitting in the parking lot at a church, ready to pick up my children from VBS (Vacation Bible School). I felt pretty good that I made it on time that week, in the summer, to bring my kids one step closer to God through VBS - and truth be told, it was a free three hour break every day for me! If you've never done one, you really got to check it out. I pretty much "VBS hop" all summer long!

But that's not really the point.

The point is that as I was sitting in my car, I saw other minivans, and SUVs - countless of them really - parking in the parking lot with me. I saw all of us women, beautiful California women, getting out of our cars. I could hear talks about summer vacations, and all the fun things we were going to do with our family and friends. And I kid you not - it was like I started seeing it all in slow motion - like a movie. That's when I heard the very first murmur, which I have no doubt came from God. I didn't hear it audibly like an actual voice. It was just a whisper in my head, in my heart, in my conscience - wherever it was, it was clear ---

You are completely missing the mark

That's what I heard that day, sitting in the parking lot. And this little conversation between me and God began, despite me wishing it away. 

What do you mean God? How am I missing the mark? I'm here at VBS teaching my kids about YOU? That's way better than just sitting at home, letting my kids play video games all day, right? Why is this is a bad thing? I don't understand.

God kept up the murmurs in my heart....

VBS isn't the problem, it's your heart condition. You have stayed in your Christian circles, with your Christian summer programs, and your Christian small groups, and your Christian church...

Ummm....Ok God - why is that a bad thing? I thought that was a good thing?

It is a great thing, but I want more of you. Stop blessing people who are already blessed and open your hearts to the people that I'm close to. The poor. The broken hearted. The oppressed. The victimized. The suffering. YOU ARE MY PEOPLE and I want THEM  to become YOUR people! 


And that was it. That ended our little conversation and I stepped outside and I picked up my kids, and I brought them back to VBS the very next day.

Since then, I can tell you a thousand other ways that God has been speaking to me, convicting me, challenging me. But I'll spare you all of those details and leave you with this. 

WE ARE BLESSED! 
God has put you and I here, in sunny California, in America, in the 21st century, for A REASON!!! We are quite possibly the most blessed, the most resourceful generation on the planet -- and we are WOMEN! We are mothers, and sisters, and daughters. We have this heartbeat within us that is naturally protective and nurturing and loving and giving and compassionate. And I truly believe that God is looking down on us, here in the United States, and saying

WHAT ARE YOU DOING, MY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS? BE MY PEOPLE!!!! BE MY HANDS. BE MY FEET. OPEN YOUR EYES. I HAVE BLESSED YOU BEYOND MEASURE FOR A REASON! 

BE. MY. PEOPLE.

Will you join me to be God's people?? It doesn't take much. We have such abundance if we just open our eyes and look around. Let's stand for something more. Let's stand for justice! Who's with me???? 

2 comments:

  1. I have often observed the same thing with that same thought inside of my head. I kept thinking, "These people.....WE don't get it! I am so blessed despite my current circumstance. We are ALL so blessed just to be living in this country, this state, this city! I love what you wrote my sweet friend, and I couldn't agree with you more! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chris!! I am so guilty of waste and excess, but I'm glad God is convicting me day by day :)

    ReplyDelete