Monday, March 24, 2014

Amy's "Unpampered" Story








A couple of months ago I decided to get a manicure. This very stereotypical pampering of a middle aged, middle class woman seems like a normal occurrence for most. However, for me it was out of character. Usually, I reserve manicures just for weddings and formal events. Suddenly I felt having pretty painted fingernails noticed by others was my formal event. I started to become insecure of my hands and I had good reason. Last fall, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, and after the shock of going from perfectly healthy to chronically ill wore off, I felt I "deserved" the treat of getting my nails done. 

The idea that someday my fingers may be permanently disfigured scared me. The thought that I might start hiding my hands made me feel like I should show them off now. So I went and got a manicure.  

Two weeks later, I paid for a polish change. For an entire month I had pretty nails on my little hands. And then it hit me. Why was I putting chemicals on my fingernails when I was choosing to treat my illness without putting chemicals into my body?

At the same time, Carly was moved to start UnPampered On Purpose.  Then it really hit me.  

Why am I suddenly spending what little disposable income I have on something that has little value to me, especially when helping others is what I value most?  Sure, someday my fingers may be twisty, but they aren’t right now. 

That is because I have access. 

Access to clean water to stay hydrated, to soak my aching joints in, to take a hot shower and to cook my healthy meals. I have access to health insurance and doctors, to supplements and healthy foods, and to information, all which help me fight a disease that may someday cripple me. How can I justify a manicure when people around the globe are without access to clean water? The access I have has allowed me to keep using my hands, so much so that I can give myself my own little manicure and that makes me beyond grateful. This little bit of self-pampering feels extraordinary to me. I’m using my hands to file and clean my nails. I don’t need a manicure to appreciate and love my hands. I don’t need the $23 I would have spent on a manicure and polish change to survive. I do feel a strong need to love others and treat them as I want to be treated. Today I can give $23 to help bring clean water to people who so rightfully deserve to be hydrated and bathed. 

It may not seem like much, but it is $23 towards a goal that was not there before I hit the donate button. Knowing where that small donation is going feels more beautiful than my hands could ever be.

1 comment:

  1. Love your story and made me extra happy you posted this "Unpampered" story on my birthday!!!! It's because people like you... that we will make a difference one person at a time.

    ReplyDelete